Bus Load Limits
Beaufort County Schools provides bus transportation to students living more than one-and-a-half miles from school and also to students with special needs.
- Bus transportation is not provided to pupils who live outside Beaufort County.
- Students who are assigned outside their geographical area because of their request for a transfer are not guaranteed transportation.
- Students living within the stated limits of No Transport Zones (1.5 miles from the school) are not allowed to ride a school bus unless factors are present which would endanger the safety of students walking to school.
- If roads and other conditions permit, the buses shall be so routed that a bus will pass within one mile of the residence of each student.
The Beaufort County Board of Education subscribes to state statutes and guidelines regarding the location of bus stops. As assigned by the Superintendent, transportation personnel shall implement this strategy in cooperation with the appropriate administrative authority at the local school.
- Bus stops should be spaced AT LEAST two-tenths of a mile apart.
- Buses are routed on state-maintained roads only.
- Buses are generally prohibited from traveling into cul-de-sacs.
- Whenever possible, community stops are utilized.
Temporary Bus Stops
Temporary bus assignments requiring a student's re-assignment to a different bus or a new "one time only assignment" shall not be permitted except in cases of genuine emergency.
Stops at Commercial Addresses
Passenger stops at commercial/business addresses are not authorized.