Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome to the BCS Preschool Page.
I began my career in education as an elementary teacher in both Texas and in North Carolina. I later moved into school administration as a principal in both Carteret and Beaufort County. Every school I have worked in during the last 30 years has a thriving preschool program. These experiences have allowed me to experience and appreciate the importance of early intervention. It is my pleasure to continue working closely with our preschool staff, parents, and children as the Beaufort County Schools Preschool Director.
As well as providing support for our blended preschool programs at Eastern Elementary, Northeast Elementary, Chocowinity Primary, and SW Snowden, I also oversee the process of referral, screening, and evaluating children aged 3-5 who have suspected delays or learning difficulties. These referrals may come from physicians, community programs, childcare centers, private preschools, parents, or teachers. Our preschool team then assists families in obtaining appropriate specialized services for any children who qualify.
If you would like to know more about this referral process or are interested in learning more about our blended preschool program, please contact me
New: Additional Date for Preschool Registration for the 2022-2023 School Year
There will be a final PK Registration date in Washington before the summer by appointment only.
Date: Monday, June 6
Location: 845 N. Pierce St. Washington in the BCS Professional Development Center
How to make an appointment:
Please call PK Director, Catherine Tahaney at 252-940-6595. Leave a message to include the parent's name, contact phone number, child's name and DOB. The caller will be contacted with an appointment time.
For ALL preschool applications, parents/ guardians will need to produce:
- The child on that day to be screened
- The child's certified Birth Certificate (not Mother's copy)
- The child's immunization record
- 2 Proofs of residency (utility bill, mortgage or rental receipt, or property tax bill)
- Proof of household income (W2 or check stub)
- If you do not have 2 proofs of residency because utility bills are not in your name, please contact Catherine Tahaney and ask about completing a Notarized Shared Housing Affidavit.
ELIGIBILITY :To be eligible for the North Carolina Pre-K program, children must be
four years old by August 31st and be eligible for kindergarten the following year.
Be a resident of Beaufort County.
Meet the family size and income requirements set by the state of North Carolina.
Children of active duty military families are also eligible.
How will I know that my child has been accepted?
Letters to families of children who will be on the waiting list will also be mailed by early July for those who attend the BCS Preschool Registration events in the spring. Late applicants who apply during other times of the year will be notified once the applications are completed and processed. It is important to let your child’s assigned school and the Pre-K Director know if your address or phone number changes at any time. We do not want you to miss out on critical program information.
If you have additional questions, please call Catherine Tahaney, Pre-School Director, at 252-940-6595 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens at the Preschool Registration Event?
1. Parents produce the required documents and complete a Preschool Application. They will also complete a questionnaire about their child's skills. Parents will also be notified if any documents are missing and how to present these at a later time.
2. Each preschool applicant will be screened by a preschool teacher using the Dial 4 Screening instrument. (Developmental Indicators for the Assessment of Learning – Fourth Edition). This screening instrument is designed to determine whether a child is developing within the average range for his/her age or whether there is some indication of a possible delay in his/her development. The DIAL-4 examines three areas of development: motor, concepts and language. In the Motor area, we are noting the child’s large and small muscle control as well as eye-hand coordination. We want to see how he/she is learning to use his/her body for jumping, hopping, building blocks, cutting, copying and writing.
In the Concepts area, we are looking for the child’s beginning understanding of such things as colors, counting, body parts and early opposite concepts.
In the Language area, we are looking for the child’s ability in speaking and using language. We will be checking to see that he or she makes the appropriate speech sounds for his/her age. Language includes the child’s understanding of words as well as his/her ability to use words for communicating with others.
3. Each preschool applicant will have the opportunity to receive a hearing and vision screening.
4. The accompanying parent will have the opportunity to participate in an exit conference with an educator to review their child's screening information.
Preschool Director for BCS252-940-6595
Principal of Eastern Elementary252-946-1611
Principal of Chocowinity Primary
252-946-6191 Paula Sherman
Principal of Northeast Elementary252-943-6545
Principal of SW Snowden